Ramadhan is the month of training for one on the path of tazkiyah (spiritual purification) and the training one receives in this month is not received at any other time. Below is some practical advice one should try to act on during this blessed month:
• Ramadhan is the month of the Qur’an and one should try to complete at least one recitation.
• Along with recitation one should make an effort to understand it by adhering to a reliable commentary or summary. The Glorious Qur’an by Maulana Abdul Majid Daryabadi (may Allah have mercy on him) is the Shaykh’s recommendation.
• One should try to spend as much time as possible in the masjid with the niyyah (intention) of i’tikaaf (seclusion).
• One should spend more moments in silence, meditation, reflection and try more consciously to engage in tasbeeh and dhikr (remembrance of Allah).
• One should look at one’s timings, ability and other considerations and plan accordingly.
• Ramadhan is the month of mujaahadah (striving) and our greatest mujaahadah would be to overcome the laziness and lack of motivation of the nafs in reciting the Qur’an.
[This short excerpt is based on a brothers' majlis (gathering for spiritual training) held by Shaykh Abu Yusuf Riyadh ul Haq on 26th August 2008].